Monday, May 4, 2009

Persistent Wrestling

But let me tell you, even if he won't get up because he's a friend, if you stand your ground, knocking and waking all the neighbors, he'll finally get up and get you whatever you need.
~ Luke 11:8 ~

Ask For What You Need
You know what is amazing about Luke 11.8? It comes from a passage of Scripture where Jesus is teaching the disciples how to Pray. Jesus teaches them to Pray what we know as The Lord's Prayer, but right after that, He uses this story found verses 5-8 to bring out a huge teaching about Prayer. Take a look at in context:

Then he said, "Imagine what would happen if you went to a friend in the middle of the night and said, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread. An old friend traveling through just showed up, and I don't have a thing on hand.'

"The friend answers from his bed, 'Don't bother me. The door's locked; my children are all down for the night; I can't get up to give you anything.'

"But let me tell you, even if he won't get up because he's a friend, if you stand your ground, knocking and waking all the neighbors, he'll finally get up and get you whatever you need.

Persistence And Wrestling
This blows my mind when it comes to Prayer. We have Jesus Himself teaching us how to Pray, and He is basically telling us to be as persistent as some guy standing his ground, knocking and waking all the neighbors until he gets whatever he needs. It reminds me of The Persistent Widow in Luke 18 and also of Jacob wrestling with God in The Book of Genesis...

"You can't go until you bless me," Jacob replied...And he blessed Jacob.
Genesis 32.22-30

So we see first how Jesus tells us to be persistent in Prayer, then we see how He teaches us to A.S.K...after this story on persistence, Jesus states the following:

Here's what I'm saying:

Ask and you'll get;
Seek and you'll find;
Knock and the door will open. "Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need.

Let's focus on being persistent and wrestling like Jacob today, and then in the next post, lets zoom in on what it means to Ask, Seek, and Knock!