Thursday, October 16, 2008

While I'm Waiting

Waiting on You, Lord

“Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord”
Psalm 27:14

I’ve recently discovered John Waller’s (http://www.johnwallermusic.com/ ) powerful song entitled While I’m Waiting. It is featured in the new movie Fireproof and hit me harder than Ivan Drago’s first punch on Rocky Balboa in Rocky IV! Before I go on, read his words below:

I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I’m waiting
I will serve You
While I’m waiting
I will worship
While I’m waiting
I will not faint
I’ll be running the race
Even while I wait

I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it’s not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting
I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting
I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting on You, Lord

I have to admit, I’ve been in a rut for several months now in my professional life. I have truly been waiting on God to tell me what is next in his playbook for my career, or more accurately, complaining to God about waiting for the next move to show up in a detailed letter in my mailbox so that I could know when, where, and how He was going to use me next. I had pretty much accepted my current position as a place to park for a while and have been constantly praying for what God was going to do for ME and how he could use ME and allow ME to make an impact for Him anywhere but here. Me, Me, Me.

That’s when John MacArthur and others began to slap me on the back of the head to wake up and be CONTENT with where I was for as long as God wanted me here. Next came the words above that really hit it home… While I’m waiting I will serve You, While I’m waiting I will worship, While I’m waiting I will not faint, I’ll be running the race even while I wait. And you see, that’s what God has been trying to teach me lately. It’s not all about ME and what I want to do next, even if I think it’s for His glory. WRONG. It’s about Him and His timing and His plans. If I can’t be trusted to tend to the flock I have been given or fields which I am charged to plant, then how can I expect to be rewarded with greater flocks and larger fields?
You see, we aren’t serving Him by praying for new opportunities and then complaining and moping about our present circumstances. No sir! To pray for God’s plans to be revealed in His time is a wonderful plan, but while I am planted where I am, I must SERVE Him, WORSHIP Him, and RUN THE RACE, even while I wait.

In one of my favorite movies, Facing the Giants, the football coach feels like his world is crashing down around him and that God must be planning for him to move on. This comes after he overhears several boosters plotting his exit as the coach because “he just can’t get the job done.” A local man who stops by the high school to pray over the students’ lockers suddenly appears in the coach’s office and told him “God is not done with you yet!” and that until God closed this door, he was to bloom where he was planted. You know what, that’s the absolute truth with us as well!

So what are you doing about your present circumstances? I don’t know about you, but I’m more focused than ever to give God my all right where I am, even while I’m waiting!