Saturday, October 25, 2008

Relationships:Chapter 3

Welcome to Chapter 3 on applying the '3-2-1'(3 Principles, 2 Insights, 1 Question) Framework to what I learn from "How To Win Friends And Influence People" written by Dale Carnegie. Click the following links if you would like to view chapter 1 and chapter 2. Next, read below to see how these pearls of wisdom from chapter 3 apply to The Teachings of Christ from over 2000 Years ago:

3 Principles
A. Influencing others is about what they want and showing them how to obtain it.
B. Always think about the other person's perspective, as well as your own.

C. People want to feel as though they are buying, not being sold.


2 Insights
A. Arouse a desire in others.

B. It's about
mutual benefit, not manipulation. This way the other party and you benefit.

1. Question

What does the other person want?

Quotes:
"People who can put themselves in the place of other people, who can understand the workings of their minds, need never worry about what the future has in store for them."

~ Owen D. Young ~

If you do not raise your eyes you will think that you are the highest point.
~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin ~



Teachings Of Jesus
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
~ Matthew 20:28 (NLT) ~

"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." ~ Matthew 5:48 (The Message) ~

Now think about this...you want others to do for you and others want you to do for them. These next two Scriptures talk about 'Insight #2" listed above about mutual benefit....

Matthew 7:12 (The Message)

"The Golden Rule" - "Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God's Law and Prophets and this is what you get (Emphasis added).

Matthew 25:34-40 (The Message)

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:

I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.'

"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'