Saturday, March 7, 2009

Walk, Work, and Watch

Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it.
~ Jesus ~

Going On Rounds
My God-Ordained passion and dream is to become an M.D. ...I envision the day that I have the fortunate opportunity to go on rounds and learn from some of the brightest doctors who have knowledge and expertise in healing and treating human form. I want to become the best Doctor God has called me to become, but it will not happen if I am around those that do not have a patient-first mentality or those who slack off and take short cuts.

It's the same way in life and being the best person God has called us to become. We must spend time with those who have qualities we desire to obtain. And when it comes to the Ultimate Example, those of us who claim to follow Jesus Christ should aspire to be like Him. 1 John 2.6 says, "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." (emphasis added)

Walk, Work, and Watch
Walking as Jesus did is analogous to going on rounds with Jesus. In Matthew 11.28, Jesus gives us the Three W's (Walk, Work, and Watch) of how we are to be the 'resident' as we follow Him, the Attending Physician. He states the following:

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
(emphasis added)

Contrasting Conclusions
Who are we walking with? Who are we working with? Who do we watch? The answer to those questions have huge implications...In fact, they have contrasting conclusions according to Scripture. Take a look at two translation of 1 Corinthians 15.33 and then compare them back to Matthew 11.28:

Stop being deceived: "Wicked friends lead to evil ends."
~ 1 Corinthians 15.33 (ISV) ~

Don't let anyone deceive you. Associating with bad people will ruin decent people.
~ 1 Corinthians 15:33 (GWT) ~

And then to the contrary Jesus says, "Come to me...and you'll recover your life."
~ Matthew 11.28 (MSG) ~

*See "Jesus, MD," by Dr David Stevens and Gregg Lewis for An intriguingly fresh glimpse of Jesus from the unique perspective of a contemporary doctor examining and learning from the Great Physician.