Friday, June 5, 2009

Humanity As A Crutch

I hear a statement that we all say sometimes, something like, "I am only human, I can't help but sin." I've heard some people describe themselves as "sinners" thinking that it's humble to say so.

It may sound humble, but in all reality, I think it's a dishonor to God, it's a slap in the face to Jesus, and it's an escape from The Holy Spirit to think of ourselves only as sinners.

Jesus tells the woman in John 8.11, "Go on your way. From now on, don't sin."

Why would Jesus tell her not to sin, if he thought it would be impossible for her to do so because of her humanity?

I think we use our humanity, our less than perfect mentality, as a crutch in order to avoid being Holy. Or maybe we even use our humanity as a way to rationalize our sin, so that we can do things we know we should not do, and then justify them by saying we are only human...

Look: When Jesus walked on the earth as God incarnate, He was 100% human...And at the same time He was also 100% God. So to say we are in sin is to say that we are less than human and that means we are separated from God.

Now, sin does occur as a result of humanity, and that is why we need Christ as our Savior to purify us of our sins and to make us right with God. But the story does not end there.

I may sin because I am human, but I don't have to sin because I am human...

...to continue to use humanity as a crutch or an excuse to sin must stop.

Think of it in terms of food and exercise. To say we will sin and then all we have to do is confess and repent is like saying you can pig out on junk food and empty calories and then just go run it off...That is living in mediocrity.

So instead of sinning and then having to repent and confess, I would rather spend my energy on begging for The Holy Spirit to consume me...our bodies are The Temple of The Holy Spirit...we should plead and beg for The Holy Spirit to reside in us and to make us holy.

We become what we set our focus on...

The great Michelangelo said it well, The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.

Jesus calls us to Be Holy...He did not say, you are human, you will sin, so don't worry about it. (1 Peter 1.15-16)

In leading his people through the Jordan, Joshua told the people, "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you."(Joshua 3.5)

To be 'consecrated' is to Be Holy, to be set apart. He knew if they wanted God to do amazing things, miracles among them, then they must be holy and without sin.

Final thought: Jesus said, "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7.14) ...I want to be on the road that leads to life. That will not happen if I only think of my self as a sinner.

Listen, Jesus gave His life for us in ways that the human mind can not fully comprehend. We can understand the torture He went through to a certain degree, but I don't think any of us can actually put a grip on the pain and exhaustion He experienced. But what we can realize is that it was absolutely excruciating. Why? Because He took on the sins of the world so that we would not have to sin!

I will not dishonor The Crucified Christ by only thinking of myself as a sinner. I will thank Him that I am healed through His stripes and then do everything I can to live in His Victory!

Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy;
without holiness no one will see the Lord.
Hebrews 12:14