Saturday, November 22, 2008

Random Thoughts: Success

Some thoughts off the top of my head...without God (who created us to begin with), without Jesus (who came in order for us to have life in the full), and without The Holy Spirit (who counsels us and breathes His Breath of Wisdom Over Us), we can do nothing...but with Him, we can do anything and everything!

And I am talking about doing life ethically and legally, for any other way is not worth it.

So how do we live successfully? (and my definition of success is not accumulating so much crap, yes I said crap, that I have to go and rent a storage facility in order to have a place to put all my crap)...I love where the apostle Paul talks about crap, he uses the word "dung"...take a look:

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung,
that I may win Christ,

~ Philippians 3:8 (King James Version) ~

1. We must define success, and here is my Humble definition for success:

Success: Glorifying God and Fulfilling down to the last detail what Christ has called us to do.

I glorified you on earth
By completing down to the last detail
What you assigned me to do.
From John 17.1-5 MSG

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
~ 1 Corinthians 10:31 (New International Version) ~

2. We must remain in Him

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him,
he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:5 (NIV)

If we want to "bear fruit" and become successful, we must remain in Christ, because anything we do that does not glorify God is worthless. What legacy will we leave if all we accomplish are things apart from The Vine?

The way you remain in The Vine is through Prayer, Bible Study, Serving, and Fellowship. If we are trying so hard for success, if we are trying so hard to determine what God's Will is for our lives, it is probably because we have become detached from The Vine...we are probably reading gossip magazines and the newspaper more than The Bible, we are probably watching t.v. more than we are spending time in Prayer, and we are probably serving ourselves instead of serving God.


3. We will reap what we sow.

Don't be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he'll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God's Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life.
~ Galatians 6:7-8 (MSG) ~

Do you ever wonder why so many people like dogs? It's because the dog FREAKS out (in a good way) when you walk in the door. The dog acts like you are the most important person he/she will ever see. So what do people do? They return the love to the dog. Sow Good seeds and you will harvest a crop of real life!

4. We must pursue Wisdom
In order to understand God's Word and become "successful," we must have God's Wisdom:

With your very own hands you formed me;
now breathe your wisdom over me so I can understand you.
~ From Psalm 119:73 (The Message) ~

The Book of Proverbs tells us there are 4 types of people, and I learned this from Andy Stanley, in his Book, "The Best Question Ever."

A. The Wise - leads to success
B. The Naive - due to lack of experience
C. The Fool - knows between right and wrong, good and bad, but just does not care
D. The Mocker - critical, ridiculous, will not accept instruction, nobody likes them

Seeking and Obtaining God's Wisdom is HUGE in our efforts to seek and obtain Success!

What is your definition of success and how do you obtain it?