Sunday, January 18, 2009

God's Desires

Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37.4

Isaiah 55. 8-9, 11 gives us a clue as to why we must first delight ourselves in The Lord, then we will be granted our heart's desires...take a look:

8"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I *desire *
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (emphasis added).

First, we delight ourselves in The Lord, then He will give us our hearts desire...When we delight ourselves in The Lord, we begin to desire what He desires...His thoughts...His ways. Our old desires are no longer sweet, instead, they become bitter...once we desire ourselves in The Lord, we crave new fruit!

Galatians 5.16 says, "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature."

Once we are living by The Spirit and not in the flesh or in culture, etc, our sinful nature is gone.

...we need a paradigm shift, a new way of seeing... we need to take off the selfish lens and put on The Lens of Christ so we can see clearly, seeing what Christ sees...we all read the second part of Psalm 37.4 yet totally blow off the first part...we should focus on Delighting ourselves in the Lord first...then the desires will be granted because our desires become new...they become what God desires...our standards will be raised...the old has gone, the new has come...