Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bleed

Steve Prefontaine is the "Elvis" of the Track and Field world. The guy is a Legend is every respect of the word. One of the main things everyone loved about "Pre" is that he was a creative artist on the track, but even more so, he was a no-holds-barred-WARRIOR on the track!

"Pre's" WARRIOR status began In The 1970 NCAA Track & Field Championships where "Pre" competed as a freshman in the 3 mile. His performance was in doubt because he had cut his foot four days before the race. Six stitches were required to close the cut. "Pre" had to spend four days in bed.

When Race day arrived, Pre's foot was taped and everyone hoped the wound would not reopen. Listen to what Pre said even if it had reopened...

"I will keep going until I finish or until I run out of blood."

Well Pre's wound did reopen. In fact, He ran the majority of the race with a huge gash in his foot...the six stitches were no match for the 3 mile pounding on the pavement. The good thing is Pre did not run out of blood...but He did finish...not only did he finish, but Pre set the meet record in 13 minutes 22 seconds as a FRESHMAN. "Pre" wanted to run and to win so badly that he was willing to BLEED to do it!

One of "Pre's" greatest quotes explains his mindset when it came to Race Day:

"Somebody may beat me,
but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
"

Is there anything you are willing to BLEED for?

Jesus BLED for us. He was willing to do whatever it took. He sweat drops of blood. He had a crown of thorns that caused blood to drip down His face. He was flogged and beaten and it left a trail of blood when the guards pulled him away. He hung naked on a cross...bleeding. After He was crucified, the guards wanted to make sure he was dead...so they stuck a spear in His side...blood and water came rushing out...

I can imagine Jesus, on The Cross saying:

"I will keep going until I finish or until I run out of blood."


Here is the cool thing...Jesus finished before he ran out of blood! And because He finished, we get to begin...begin a life of ABUNDANCE!

Live As Jesus Died
I want to live my life the way Jesus died. I want to live my life the way "Pre" ran. The time is now. The passion is here....

...It's Time to BLEED...
Run so hard you come in with bloody feet and missing toenails"

-Rob Decestella