Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Does Jesus know you?


"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father Who is in Heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your Name and in Your Name drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!'"
~ Matthew 7:21-23 (NIV)

"I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!"

Is saying the sinners prayer and saying "Lord, Lord" enough for us to enter Heaven? I am not writing this blog claiming I know who will be in Heaven and who will not be. Who in the world am I to make that judgment? I am nobody; however, I am saying there will be surprises. The Bible tells us that much in regards to the "many" response in Matthew 7:21-23. They were shocked at Jesus' response...it is safe to mention that saying "Lord, Lord" is light years away from living, " Lord, Lord."

" I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!"

Our hearts are "sicker" than we think.
  • I am a Christian. Great. Are you salty? Are you a light? Do you actually practice the Bible (Matthew 5:13-20)
  • I am not a murderer. Great, but do you have hatred in your heart? (Matthew 5:21-26)
  • I am not sleeping around on my spouse. Great; do you fantasize about somone else though? (Matthew 5:27-30)
  • I am not divorced. Great, but do you cherish, honor, and encourage your spouse? (Matthew 5:31-32)
  • I keep my promises. Great, but do you have to "promise" in order for someone to believe you. Are you not trustworthy without a promise? (Matthew 5:33-37)
  • I do what's expected. Great, do you go above and beyond when not expected for those who don't deserve it? (Matthew 5:38-42)
  • I love my friends and neighbors. Great. What about those who irritate you? Do you love them and pray for them? (Matthew 5:43-47)
  • I am a pretty good person. Great. Are you perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect? (Matthew 5:48)
" I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!"
  • I pray. Great. Is it for show or for submission? (Matthew 6:1-13)
  • Do you forgive easily? Why not? Your Heavenly Father has forgiven you! (Matthew 6:14-15)
  • Do you desire God more than food? (Matthew 6:16-18)
  • Is your heart in Heaven or in your wallet? (Matthew 6:19-24)
  • Are you consumed with keeping up with the "Jones'" or with God's Kingdom (Matthew 6:25-34)
  • Does your eye hurt? Maybe you have a big 'ol plank in it? (Matthew 7:1-6)
  • Do you believe God has your best interest in mind or that He is out to get you? (Matthew 7:7-11)
  • Do you jump at the chance to do something for others that you want done to you? (Matthew 7:12)
" I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!"
  • Are you one of the few? (Matthew 7:13-14)
  • Fake fruit or the real deal? (Matthew 7:15-20)
  • Flashy ministry or willing to go unnoticed by hanging out with the ignored? (Matthew 7:21-23; Matthew 25:31-40)
  • Serious about hearing and doing Jesus' words or do you let them go in one ear and out the other? (Matthew 7:24-27)
  • Amazed by Jesus or following Jesus? (Matthew 7:28-29)
" I never knew you. Away from Me, you evildoers!"

We...need...Jesus. We need Him to...(Matthew 5:1-12)
  • Make us poor in spirit
  • Make us mournful
  • Make us meek
  • Cause us to hunger and thirst for Him
  • Make us merciful
  • Make us peaceful
  • Make us ready for persecution
These are the marks of Him conquering every part of our soul. Then and only then, with His life consuming ours, will we be capable of a Matthew 5-7 lifestyle mentioned in the above questions. It is the life of Heaven on earth. It is the life of Heaven in us. Without Heaven in us, Jesus claims to NOT know us. Without His perfect and holy life in us, we are nothing but "evildoers." "Nice guy Christianity" just...will not...cut it. Doing ministry to make us feel better about ourselves will not cut it! Jesus MUST conquer us, penetrate us, consume us, and breath His holy washing Spirit in us. That is the only way we can do the will of His Father and enter into the Kingdom of Heaven!

"Your Kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven!" ~Matthew 6:10 (NIV)